Monday, June 21, 2010

Cotehardies

The following are dresses I have created, just for your enjoyment :)




This dress is made of synthetic materials, and one of my first cotehardies I ever made. I still love it although the fit is particularly terrible and it gets really hot while wearing it (the material does not breath well). The second photo shows how I lined the edges of the sleeves and front with silk, which I intended to make buttonholes on. However, I never got around it, so the front and sleeves are simply sewn shut. I added some pilgrims badges and tokens that I purchased at an event. In case you ever wondered... (and also because I love research!), in Medieval France: an encyclopedia By William W. Kibler, it is noted that,


page 740

Also, nobility did take pilgrimages too! The following excerpt describes the purpose of the pilgrimages (because let's face it, you secretly do want to know...)


page 740

Here is a close-up off mine. Although they are not historically accurate, they create the same effect. Plus they're cute!

This ne
xt dress is made of purple linen, and it is FAR more historically accurate then my Golden Silk Dress, and the previous red dress. I used a wonderful pattern that uses the idea of block patterning to create the dress. I purchased the pattern on e-bay (yay for e-bay!) for a decent price.

Of course, linen is wonderful to work with but it LOVES to wrinkle.

With this dress, I included eyelets (handsewn of course) for lacing down the front of the gown. Eyelets a re really easy, especially if you include a metal grommet underneath your work! Lol! I used the grommets to reinforce t he eyelets even if this is not period, simply because it really helps keep the eye let in tact afte r lacing the gown a lot of times!



Here is a closeup on the eyelets and the method to make them.


The next dress is a current project. I made it of turquoise blue silk awhile ago, but I made it too small. Sooo.... I'm currently adding gores to the sides to give me more room. The thing I like about this dress is the gores in the skirt! There are eight and that's why is is incredibly wide! It looks absolutely lovely! I'll be sure to post a pic up as soon as it is done (and I'll wear it this time).



OK!!!! And my last but not least... My WOOL cotehardie! This one is by far my favorite at the moment! It is longer then my other dresses, and the sleeves are marvelous! They're bell shaped. I also crafted some buttons for this gown, however because it is so fitted to my body, I will have to make eyelets and lace it up the front. Here is the work in progess (very close to being finished). I've sewn down all the seams by hand (which I do to all my dresses), and all I have left is to hem it. The color is very rich, and it is very warm! Hurray for authentic materials!




Anyway! I'll post pics of me wearing my gown when I get a good pic at an event or something. Enjoy! Oh, and this is my little helper.... Nell. She's a Min Pin Jack Russel. Cutest thing ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment